The London Regional Media Hub, located at US Embassy London, is in search of a detail-orientated, multilingual Media Specialist, Arabic native speaker or equivalent. The Hub is located at the US Embassy in London but is part of the State Department’s Bureau of Public Affairs.
In this varied and challenging role, the ideal candidate will serve as an Arab Media Specialist, working with Arab journalists, editors, and other contacts in order to explain and promote the policies and perceptions of the United States Government.
Education: University degree in: Politics, Arabic Studies, Journalism, Economics, Anthropology, Education, Government, English or Linguistics, International Relations, Political Science, Geography, History, Law, English, Arabic studies or Psychology
Experience: Prior work experience as a journalist in an Arab media (newspaper, tv/radio station or website) or as a media monitor in a major organization responsible for monitoring and reporting on Arab media
Language Proficiency: Fluency in Arabic: reading, writing and speaking as native speaker or equivalent; fluency in written and spoken English
Knowledge: extensive knowledge of Arab media, politics, history, and culture, good knowledge of United States foreign policies, political system, society and culture.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- A flexible approach to quickly changing priorities
- Ability to translate easily and accurately between Arabic and English
- Ability to draft quick and accurate summaries in English
- Ability to discern and analyze trends and narratives in Arab media and explain those to colleagues in the Hub and in Washington
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle a broad range of tasks within work schedule.
- Flexible hours in carrying out regular and other duties including preparation of daily report, hosting major USG visitors and special Hub programs/projects
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, in Arabic and in English, in a manner that effectively represents and supports the London Media Hub
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with Arabs, Americans, and other contacts are required
- Expertise in using Microsoft Word, the Internet, and online databases, in particular for producing the daily media report
To learn more about this challenging job opportunity
Closing Date: July 16, 2012 at COB (5.30 pm)
Salary: £42,373 gross starting salary per annum, (consisting of: basic salary- £37,176, London weighting- £2,100 and bonus- £3,097). Plus discounted health care plan.